Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Giving in to your gut

Everywhere I go, I see the evidence of the celebrity of bloggers and the impact they have on today’s society. Subway advertisements show youtube sensations with 1 million + subscribers, fashion bloggers are replacing editors with the front row seats during fashion week, and who can ignore their presence on instagram… Oooh look, another Starbucks coffee next to a pair of Prada sunglasses [4,200,677,584 likes]
I’m positive Im not the only person that hasn’t thought “hey, why cant that be me?” Sure, I cant apply makeup that makes me look poreless and resemble a Barbie doll, and I’m not a jetsetter that can ‘gram’ about exotic locations and my favorite acai bowl flavors, but that doesn’t mean what I say doesn’t matter. Bloggers develop a fan base that develops over time, and it is this backing of thousands of social media obsessed teenage girls that give these bloggers the validity that they need to remain relevant and famous.


Im a Jersey girl currently living in New York City with random roommates in an apartment that has layers of filth on the floor, am somehow surviving off of pb&j’s and the occasional coffee splurge. I make $0 and have to wash my plastic utensils to get the most use out of them. I am completely broke and yet I am having the greatest summer of my life. The fashion houses I work for provide avid entertainment, as well as copious amounts of advice that has taught me more than my entire course load in college. For example, a fellow intern expressed to me that there are only 21 days in February. WHAT?! Okay, so that was a poor example, but what I learned form this intern is that some people haven’t learned the “Months of the Year” song yet, and you need to muster up some patience when dealing with them. I have very interesting stories about my country roommate KB and her usage of the compass rose and moss to tell directions, my first encounters with a promoter and how I still have some version of PTSD from the event, and stories of other shenanigans a freshly 21 year old girl gets into in the greatest city in the world. These stories may not be interesting for other people, but I think that I need to give in to my gut. Stop questioning if my photos are “artsy” enough, or if what I have to say is interesting. For all I care I’m Dorothea Lange and Ernest Hemingway wrapped up in a single body. I matter. So notice me, pay attention to me, love me.


No comments:

Post a Comment